- What is the deal with my cleric's religion?It's all politics at the top. Powerful individuals get elected to the position of high priest for the social status it brings them. They can do a few divinations, but don't ask them to raise the fighter from the dead. The heavy lifting is done by under priests, who often retired/crippled adventurers such as your character. The good news is that if you can help the high priest, he'll help you. Whether it's straightening out that little mix up that burned the tavern down or knowing where to get that rare Egyptian unguent needed for the potion, the high priest has the connections to help.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?Lissus, Epidamnus, Apollonia can supply you with most of what you want. In particular, Apollonia and Epidamnus are major trading ports on the route to and from Italy and the East. Goods are periodically available in those locations that are usually only available in larger cities. Lychnidus, Oricum and Onchesmus have most standard goods for sale, rarely a single masterwork item. Smaller villages will only have provisions and mundane items.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?Sucks to be you. Platemail hasn't been invented yet, nor has half plate. The best you will do is Banded. I'd start with the armorers at the Cohort IXof Legion I Macedonicus in Lissus
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?Pantarious, as the Egyptian Pan-Twa-Re's name has been latinized. A recent arrival with the new Legate G. Servilius Vatia in Apollonia.
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?Lucius Pulcio, retired Roman soldier now serving as Captain of the Guard for Perseus Tuetella, Dynast of Epidamnus. Pulcio single handedly killed an elephant charging his cohort at the battle of Zama, receiving a Civic Crown for his achievement.
- Who is the richest person in the land?The Legate G. Servilius Vatia is only here temporarily, so Perseus Tuetella, Dynast of Epidamnus is the richest local.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?Apollonia is your best bet, the Temple of Apollo has an attached shrine to his son Asclepius. Also, you can try the Stoa of Apollonia, a group of mages and sages who are willing to try anything to cure someone else.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?The Stoa of Apollonia
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?No guild, but you can buy temporary library rights from the tutors at the Stoa.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?The Stoa of Apollonia for intellectuals. Lissus, Epidamnus and Apollonia for skilled craftsmen.
- Where can I hire mercenaries?Lissus, Epidamnus and Apollonia have ruffians for hire. Not really trained mercenaries, but sailors who like to fight.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?Illegal, no. But anything bigger than a shortsword and leather armor gets you marked as a barbarian within the towns. In other words, prices go up and reactions go down (-2).
- Which way to the nearest tavern?The upper class entertain each other in their own houses. So all you'll find are neighborhood bars, where prices will go up and reactions down (-2) to strangers, or dives down by the waterfront.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?Nothing near the cities, and anything done up in the mountains will be discounted as occurring in out in the sticks. You might want to hire someone to write an epic poem about your feat, if fame is that important to you.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?Legion I Macedonicus Cohort IX in Lissus is hiring. It's a twenty five year hitch, roll up a new character. Tribal raids from the Illyrians are an occasional annoyance, but haven't gotten past the fortress at Lissus in over twenty years.
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?Epidamnus. Minimum ten fights, hard to win - yes, for glory and cash go to Rome.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?Not so much secret societies, but people with agendas include Perseus Tuetella, Dynast of Epidamnus, who would like to kick the Romans out and set up the Illyrian kingdom again. Also, the magician Pantarious is known to have his own agenda, but rumor doesn't agree on what it is.
- What is there to eat around here?Fish, Goat, Olives, Fruit, Grains. Wine in the low lands, beer is more common in the mountains.
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?Jason's Shield, that he used to defeat Medusa, is said to be hidden in the mountains. It is said to be the first object made out of Bright-Steel by the Miraditorum dwarves.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H
A large bronze dragon has been seen along the coast south of Oricum.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
My answers to Jeff Rients 20 Questions. Campaign map at the bottom.